Sara's Sentiments

Random thoughts of yesterday,today and tomorrow...

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Sloppy Valentine's Day...

My resolution is clearly not sticking. Then again, they hardly ever do. It's hard to post something on a blog when there isn't really much to say. I haven't really done anything recently that has been worth posting.

Today is probably worth posting. It's not only Valentine's Day, but it's also the first major winter storm in New England and it's February. We usually have already had about a foot by now, and today's storm is only dumping a good inch, maybe 2 in the Boston area. They said between 3 and 7 inches, which in NE, is considered a dusting. It's the sleet and rain on top of the snow, what little we have, that will make things to hard to travel. When it rains in NE, people sometimes forget how to drive. And when there's snow, sleet AND rain, forget about getting anywhere you need to go, on time. I was about 17 minutes late for work this morning, which was actually pretty good. I thought it would have taken long, given my route to work was completely un-plowed. The average speed limit was in the 25-40 mph range, which I think is pretty normal. There were over 110 schools closings today and several businesses shut down. I suppose it's fair to say that we were warned this Nor'Easter could have been a lot worse. When I woke up this morning, the weather was on and they were saying how the storm's path had moved slightly, which meant less snow/accumulation in the Boston area, and up to 2 feet in southern NH and western Mass. That really only meant good news to 2 kinds of businesses. Mountains/ski area's, and Schools. The wind is certainly howling out there... so much that my umbrella flipped inside out and part of it broke. If you don't have to go outside today, don't!

Here's Mike Wankum's Weather Blog from Thebostonchannel.com

I remember when I was little, the night before a snow storm, I was so excited and prayed that there would be enough to close school. In my town, school NEVER closed, so it was a big deal if it was a snow day. On the days that we didn't have school because of snow, my mom would come into my room and instead of the normal song she sang "Good Morning to You......" (lyrics to the Birthday song were replaced by Goog Morning") while pulling up my shades and blinding me by the morning light, she was quietly wake me up and tell me to look outside. And when I did, it was the best sight ever. And then she would tell me there was no school. I don't know what kid in their right mind could actually go back to sleep after being told there was not only enough snow on the ground to close school, but that the neighborhood kids would be sledding most of the day. I certainly didn't go back to sleep and enjoyed every minute of it. There's always the days towards the end of the school year that you have to make up , simply because of that snow day you had.

On the other hand, it's Valentine's Day... a day of love. I spend many, many years being single on this day. I have to say that it's quite nice to have someone special in my life to share it with. I made a pact with a friend of mine about 6 years ago that we would go see a chic flick on Valentine's Day so we didn't have to be alone. It was about 2 weeks before the sappy holiday that I made her go to Cleary's bar in the South End. She was always the one to convince me, not the other way around. So, we went to the bar and we ended up talking to this guy who was clearly interested in my friend. I was kind of upset, because I was the one who dragged her to the bar and here she is, being picked up by a cute guy. My friend had her heart set out for a while to meet a doctor. So, further into their conversation, the topic of emlpoyment came up and she found out that he was a doctor! He called her a day later, and due to scheduling conflict, they scheduled their first date for Valentine's Day! My friend had emailed me asking if it was ok. Being the good friend that I am, a little more annoyed than understanding, I told her to go on the date. They were married this past July.

On the other hand, it's Valentine's Day... a day of love. I spent many, many years being single on this day. I have to say that it's quite nice to have someone special in my life to share it with. Our plan of attack is to make dinner and stay in. I think most restaurants charge double as well as florists. There are a few people in my office that got roses from their S/O's, which is very sweet and thoughtful. It's definitely a give-away when/if you get them. There's usually no question as to why you got them. My boyfriend and I are going to make dinner and curl up on the couch and watch whatever is on TV. Besides, even though Valentine's Day is sometimes a little over-rated, it's the one day to truly let that special someone in your life, know how much you care. (puke).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home