Sara's Sentiments

Random thoughts of yesterday,today and tomorrow...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Camp M&M

About 8 years ago, my parents friends started a camp for children both infected with and affected by the HIV and the AIDS virus. The children from age 5 to 12 and they are the sweetest most amazing kids I have ever met. It's a week long camp where the kids can go away and just forget about everything bad in the world. Most of the children at the camp are infected with the virus, and their siblings are there with them for the week, but the siblings may not carry the disease.

At Camp Miracles and Magic, the kids get up in the morning, have breakfast and start their activities. Activities range from arts & crafts, to swimming in a pool, sports, music, nature walks, and many other fun things! At night, there is a different form of entertainment for everyone to enjoy. The week is really amazing and one of the best weeks I've ever experienced. I was a counselor at the camp for 5 years, but after so many years, life sort of just takes over and you can't do it every year. I still visit every year and see all the kids. A few of the campers that I had in my group are now CIT's! Talk about feeling old! We haven't lost a camper yet from the disease, and hopefully we won't ever as long as the camp is there.

When I went up yesterday, they had "Carnival Day". I took my sister in law and her 2 boys; Ryan 3, Benjamin 5. They had an absolute blast! We got painted-on tattoo's, the boys made their own picture mugs, they got animal balloons, old-time pictures taken, and a monkey! They also had about 8 inflatable slides and water rides, a mechanical bull, and many other fun activities for all to enjoy. All in all, it's a great week for everyone who goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home